Thursday, February 23, 2012

This Week in Comics - Valiant, Star Trek, Night of the Owls & More!



I tried to picture clusters of information as they moved through the computer.

Weekly Comics Update



I got a phone call...

 ... from the folks at Valiant Comics. I can't tell you much about the newly-resurrected company (I've been sworn to secrecy), but I'm pretty impressed with the people working behind-the-scenes. That said, the conversation was pretty frank: Dark Horse's attempted ressurection of the line wasn't very successful here, mostly because of lateness. Fortunately, Valiant has made timliness a priority, and has a good plan for success. There'll be more announcements about Valiant over the next couple weeks, but you can read a little more about their first offer here.

The new 52 Second Wave...

... will be up on Comixology within the next 7-10 days. I'll have more about this next week.

Night of The Owls...

...is coming. Going to be a great storyline, playing with all of Scott Snyder's creations. For those of you not reading it, All-Star Western is doing a great job of tying into the back-story of Gotham. Great, great book, you should take a peek if you haven't already. (Special thanks to Loyal Reservist James P. for the reminder!)

It's been a couple weeks since...

...I mentioned SAGA, the new series by Brian K.  Vaughan. It's "Star Wars meets Game of Thrones". Have I quoted that yet? Probably. Anyways... you need to buy it. Go look here.

I loved the Abrams remake..

... of Star Trek. True, there was a little too much lens flare going on, but the casting was spot on, great script, great special effects, and a great story. Thumbs up all around. When IDW announced that they were publishing an ongoing that would tie in to the movies, I rolled my eyes a bit. "Sounsds like a cash grab to me", I muttered. However, when the book shipped, I was suprirsed to find out that the writers from the movie were involved in the story, and that they had come up with a twist. Each story is only a couple issues long and is a modern retelling of TOS episodes, featuring the new cast. That was intriguing enough to get me to try out the first couple issues, and it's really good! Color me surprised (and a bit wrong), but this is a great Star Trek book, for anyone who liked the old series, the new movies, or anything in-between. I'm a DS9 man when it comes to the tv shows, but this is definitely winning me over fast. I've marked the first issue down by 50%, so if you want a copy, I'll throw one in your folder. Highly recommended.

Next week's books..

... are here.

Be good.

S.

Scott McGovern
Comics Manager
Dragon's Den

CONNECT WITH US


CONTACT US


Dragon's Den
2600 South Road
Poughkeepsie Plaza
Poughkeepsie, New York 12601

Add us to your address book

845-471-1401
comicsdragonsden@gmail.com

SHARE THIS




REMINDERS


+ Next weeks comics are posted!
+ Don't forget to update your list at Comixology!
+ We're not going to Guam, are we?


Copyright © 2012 Dragon's Den, All rights reserved.
Here is one of those emails we promised you when you signed up as part of the Denizen Discount Program when you were shopping at Dragon's Den.
Our mailing address is:
Dragon's Den
2600 South Road
Poughkeepsie Plaza
Poughkeepsie, New York 12601

Add us to your address book

Email Marketing Powered by MailChimp

No comments:

Post a Comment